Why study in Tauranga, New Zealand?
Stunning scenery, beautiful weather. Feel safe, respected and included here.
On this page
- Why our international students choose to study with us here in Tauranga, New Zealand
- What our international students think
- Choose From Our I.T. Programmes
- New Zealand Diploma in Information Technology – Level 5
- New Zealand Diploma in Systems Administration – Level 6
- 5 Reasons To Choose Us
- The 10 Step Process To Becoming A Student At EmployNZ in Tauranga, New Zealand
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Enquire Now
Why our international students choose to study with us here in Tauranga, New Zealand
In Tauranga, stunning scenery surrounds you in the form of pristine beaches, harbour and nearby forests.
When it’s time for you to take a well earned study break, our fantastic weather with abundant sunshine and mild winters means that you can enjoy the outdoors all year round.
People of all cultures and religions are welcomed and celebrated in our city. You will feel safe, respected and included here.
If you are looking for the ideal location in New Zealand to be an international student, you’ve found it.
What our international students think
We most commonly teach international students from Brazil, India, Philippines, Russia, Malaysia, Manilla and others.
They tell us that what they value most is the level of support we provide during their study. For example, to help you with your finances, we help you find part-time work.
You also make important contacts for the future should you wish to stay in New Zealand after you graduate.
See what 2 of our students have to say in our 2 minute video:
See what 2 of our international students have to say (2 minute video):
What some of our international students think
“I am getting a better experience at EmployNZ than other colleges. In class I am enjoying the presentations and TEDX business videos.”
“It is a good experience at EmployNZ, I have learnt many problem solving skills. They also provide a fridge, microwave and coffee. I am having coffee at every break which is great!”
“I am enjoying EmployNZ a lot. I want to continue with further study at EmployNZ and suggest my friends also consider studying here.”
“All members of EmployNZ are so supportive and encouraging. They have helped me to tailor my CV for NZ Employers and have given me excellent career guidance”
“I have enjoyed the teaching style of my tutor, the comfortable classroom and how helpful our tutor is.”
“I enjoy the work-based assignments which have helped me to get both practical and theory experience. The course has helped me to get a promotion for a Managers position”
“The class environment is excellent. The staff are well educated and everything
is very professional at EmployNZ”
“EmployNZ has its own value in the market based on its high standards and quality. The college provides very good learning for its students.”
Gurpreet Singh Heir
“My overall experience is very good compared to other institutes!”
“I had no idea that I would love it so much. At this time I am satisfied and in love with what I am doing!”
Choose From Our I.T. Programmes
We offer the following programmes:
New Zealand Diploma in Information Technology (Level 5) (120 Credits)
2020 - Feb 3, April 27, July 20, Oct 12
New Zealand Diploma in Systems Administration (Level 6) (120 Credits)
2020 - Feb 3, April 27, July 20, Oct 12
5 Reasons To Choose Us
1. Ideal Location
- Our Tauranga campus is the ideal location to be a student, with stunning scenery, beautiful weather, a safe, respectful, inclusive community
2. Employment Focussed
- We help you find work while you study
- Our courses are based on the real world requirements of I.T. employers
- Once you have graduated we help you find work
3. Small Class Size
- Class sizes are capped to maximise your learning
- We use conversational learning, meaning It is easier for you to ask questions and get answers
4. Maximum Support
- Our tutors are always available to meet with you personally
- We offer a personalised experience and know our students by name
5. High Quality
- We have always been a NZQA accredited Category 1 Education Provider
- We offer a modern boutique learning environment with classes that are climate controlled and noise proof
The 10 Step Process To Becoming A Student At EmployNZ in Tauranga, New Zealand
If you are currently here in New Zealand, you can follow the following process. Otherwise, your agent will help you through the process.
- Download our prospectus
- Make an enquiry
- To get advice about your study options and find out more about our programmes either fill in our enquiry form and our International Team will be in touch, or reach out to an approved EmployNZ recruitment agent in your home-country list?
- Fill in the application form
- Receiving an offer
- If your application form is accepted you will receive an Official Offer of Place (OOP) letter.
- The OOP may be a formal offer (no other information is required), or a conditional offer (more information is required).
- We will let you know what further information is required.
- Accept your offer
- To accept your offer of place to study at EmployNZ you will need to pay your first years tuition fees.
- To find out how to pay your fees (and how they are protected) visit our Preparing to Travel to New Zealand page.
- Apply for your student visa
- Once you have paid your fees you can use the receipt and offer of place letter from EmployNZ to apply to Immigration New Zealand for your student visa.
- You can find out more about visa options and how to apply at Immigration.govt.nz.
- Prepare to come to New Zealand
- To ensure you arrive in New Zealand with everything you need to settle in well, and to complete your enrolment, use the pre-departure handbook (688Kb .pdf) as your guide.
- Please remember we will organise travel and medical insurance for you before you leave, the cost of this is $599. If you prefer to organise your own insurance please make sure you discuss this with us first.
- Arriving in New Zealand
- A member of our International Team will either meet you at the Auckland airport or arrange for you to be picked-up and transported to Tauranga or Rotorua.
- They will then take you to your accommodation and go through the orientation section of the student handbook with you.
- This includes all the information you need to help you settle in with EmployNZ.
- Enrolment on campus
- When you arrive on campus our International Team will help you to complete your enrolment, you will need to have the following documentation ready. Student visa, travel and medical insurance (in English), passport, confirmation of funds.
- International orientation
- Please plan to arrive 1 week before your course starts. The first week will include several orientation workshops and events.
- A member of our International Team will confirm these with you when you arrive
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to know?
- Download Pre-Departure Guide
- Download Student Handbook
Where do I find out more about being an international student in New Zealand?
Where do I find out more about studying in New Zealand?
How do I check that EmployNZ is an official education provider?
Where do I find out more about tourism in Tauranga and in New Zealand?
Do I need to pay my fees before I apply for a Student Visa?
- Once you have submitted the application form, we will contact you to confirm if you have been accepted and then we will send you an official Offer of Place (OOP) letter.
- This may come through the local agent you are working with, or direct from EmployNZ.
- On the OOP is the approved public trust account details and reference number for payment of your fees.
- You will need to pay you fees into the public trust account before you can make an application to immigration NZ to get your Visa.
Are my fees protected with Public Trust?
- Student fees are placed in a trust account operated by Public Trust (in accordance to an agreement with New Zealand Government).
- Public Trust releases funds to EmployNZ fortnightly after the payment has been made.
- If you withdraw from a course within the first 10 days, your fees can be refunded, as described in the Student Handbook.
- Under the agreement with Public Trust, student fees are protected for the duration of the programme.
- This protects you from the unlikely situation where EmployNZ is unable to deliver the course you are enrolled in.
- If EmployNZ is unable to deliver the course, the student will be reimbursed for the remainder of the programme.
- EmployNZ will assist in enrolling the student into another institute and credits may be transferred.
Do I need a Student Visa? When do I apply for a Student Visa?
- Any person planning to study in New Zealand for longer than 12 weeks will need to apply for a student Visa.
- After you have received your OOP and have paid your fees you will need to apply to Immigration NZ for a student visa.
- See Immigration.govt.nz for details on how to complete your Visa application.
- Need help? Contact the EmployNZ recruitment team for assistance.
Will you organise my Health and Travel Insurance for me?
- You will automatically have medical and travel insurance purchased for you as part of your course fees when you enrol with EmployNZ.
- Health insurance is compulsory because most international Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand
- If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment
- Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website Health.govt.nz.
- Therefore you must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand
- This is a legal requirement under the Code of Practice for Custodial Care of International Students 2016.
- The Insurance is purchased from Southern Cross Health Care, see scti.co.nz for more details.
- You can opt out of this and purchase your own travel and health insurance if you prefer.
- All details of your policy must be provided to EMPLOYNZ (in English) before you travel. Please discuss with us first.
- Please Note: EmployNZ reserves the right to decline your enrolment if you cannot show appropriate and valid health and travel insurance for the period of your enrolment.
When is student orientation week? What’s involved?
- Student orientation is held during the first week of the term (the date will be confirmed on the letter of offer).
- The International team will show you around the campus and around the City as well as introducing you to all the right people.
- There will be fun activities organised for you and your class mates as well as induction workshops.
- During orientation you will learn about:
- EmployNZ services and facilities
- EmployNZ rules & policies
- Immigration regulations about your student visa
- Information about banking in New Zealand
- Information about tax and the IRD (Inland Revenue Department)
- Accommodation options
- Introduction to local settlement support services
- City tour and important places to know
- Employment options
- To complete your enrolment remember to bring your passport, visa, EmployNZ letter of offer and original academic documents to your first orientation day.
Can you help me with my accommodation?
- Accommodation EmployNZ will organise 2 weeks free accommodation when you arrive.
- This will give you time to assess the other accommodation options available.
- We will provide information and the best options to find fulltime accommodation.
- Often a homestay is the best option as this will allow you to live in a family environment which can help you adjust to the different language, food and culture.
- The homestay fee (NZ $180 – $240 week) often includes your own room, most meals, power and sometimes internet access.
- Another option is to rent a room in a house or apartment (“flatting”), this option means you will probably be living with other students, and will be responsible for all your living costs and organising everything you need.
- It may take some time to find a suitable house to live in, although the international team at EmployNZ will help you as much as possible.
- Flatting will generally cost around NZ $100 – $150 weekly.